Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Black and White

It was just like a living nightmare. I looked in the mirror and cursed myself for my own vanity. I knew it was ridiculous. The shade of my eyes had turned from blue to a ghastly grey and the color of my skin was no longer a gorgeous shade of tan but pale white. What would everyone think when they saw me? No longer the picture-perfect model, I stood there thinking that I looked like a ghost of what I had been. I shut my eyes tight and pulled out my cell phone.
Incubating the idea over and over in my head, I called my friend, “Hey Melissa…. yeah…. its me, can you come over for a minute? I have something that I need you to see….all right…see you in a few.”
I opened my eyes again and looked in the bathroom mirror. I continued to stare at my new uncolored body. I heard Melissa knock on the door and come in.
“What was so important that it couldn’t wait?”
“Look at me!” I said, “I’m all grey!” Seeing her face in the mirror, I turned around.
“What are you talking about?”
Looking at her with my mouth hanging open. It took a few tries to finally spit out the words screaming in my mind. “Look at you, you're all grey too!”
“I’m not all grey. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She looked confused, angry even.
“What do you mean?” I didn’t understand why she would lie to me. She hasn’t in the past.
“I think we should get you to the doctor.”
I went to my dresser and started pulling out clothes, all of them now shades of black and white. I knew my clothes should have been different colors. I started to freak out! Melissa helped me into some clothes and took me to her car. She drove me to the hospital and helped check me in. After what seemed like hundreds of eye tests, the doctor finally came in.
“You have a rare disease. It’s called, ‘Negative Suck’.”
I looked at him as if he were joking, but the look on his face said otherwise.
“This disease causes the cones in your eyes to quit working. I’m sorry to say, but you’ll never see color again.” Now I live my nightmare of a life seeing only black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment