Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Last One Standing

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

He told me one evening after coming home and finding me in my room with a swelling black eye, “Honey, never start a fight, but make sure you always finish it.”

Being a girl, it was never considered “lady-like” to be a fighter, but that’s exactly what my dad taught me to be. 

From elementary school fights to high school fights, I did just as my dad said, I never started them, but I sure finished them.

His advice never made more sense to me than the night I was hanging with some of my military friends and “the enemy” as we called her started the fight, I finished by sending her to the hospital with a broken nose and stitches across her eyebrow.

His advice taught me that if I’m ever put in the position of having to duck a punch, I’ll always be the last one standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment