Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Attendance Optional

We met a few years ago, both of us dating other people at the time. We found ourselves seeing each other at events hosted by mutual friends. Each time we would talk a little. Talking turned into emailing. Emailing turned into phone calls, and when we both were free of relationships, phone calls turned into a first date.


Within a short amount of time we found that we were kindred spirits- meant to be together.

Decisions were made, and we moved in together. Two years later, celebrating the anniversary of our first date he broke the news. The light of our kindred spirits, like a beacon shining brightly, was split by a prism called Kim. He had decided that she was his soul mate and left me sitting alone at a candle lit table.

The day he called me, begging me to take him back because Kim had moved on, I laughed at him. His phone records indicated that I was the last one to talk to him before he drove his cobalt blue mustang convertible off the side of the highway and into a large pine tree.

I still can’t bring myself to grieve for him.

I didn’t attend the funeral, although, I probably should have.

14 comments:

  1. Harsh, but a woman scorned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting the the "beacon" which usually symbolizes hope, became a splitting light of ruin here. You write well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ssorry. Here's the link: http://gildorianne.blogspot.com/2010/01/three-word-wednesday-haiku.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the three words with some smooth writing and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit harsh, but I've met those types before and they deserve what they get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dark humor. I wonder if Kim went to the funeral?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it's a cyclical thing. from relationship to relationship, and finally for him, from ashes to ashes!

    aka Andy Sewina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've often wondered how many 'soul mates' that type of man thinks he deserves? :) Strong piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i m with u on this. i would have felt the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a diary of sorts, quite like real life

    ReplyDelete
  11. wish its just a fictional post.. though its really sad !

    ReplyDelete