Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An Eye for Color

The light bulb swung back and forth sending red and black shadows dancing across the dark room. Reaching up he steadied the bulb then walked to his work table. He set his classic camera on the table and began to disassemble it. Pulling out the roll of film he held the negatives up to the light to see which pictures had come out the best. Today was a good day. Almost every photo he had taken had come out just as he wanted. With his luck this good, he knew he could snap a few more before the real work had to be done. He inserted a new roll of film, snapped the light off, and closed the door behind him.

***

“Where the hell have you been?”

“I’m sorry Janet. I had to work a double shift.”

“And you couldn’t call? What the hell Scott?”

“We’ve had more reports of that stalker I told you about. We all have to pull double shifts for the next little while.”

“How long Scott? How long is this going to last?”

***

Her eyes reflected blue in the flash of his camera, that sapphire blue that he had dreamed about since he had seen her two days ago in Marty’s Tavern. Hillary was her name, she lived alone in apartment #25, last one on the left, second floor, a cat her only companion. Her eyes reminded him of Jenika, her blue eyes so dark that they could only be perfectly seen on film. Don’t think about Jenika. He chastised himself while pulling the large print out of the tub. Carefully he hung it then glanced along the line taking in each face as they all seemed to look directly at him.

***

“We’ve found another one, Scott. That makes the third this week, seven overall in the last two.”

“I know how to count Brett. Maybe we should call in someone higher? I haven’t had to deal with this many homicides in ages.”

***

That was too close- he barely made it away from the place before it was lit up with flashing red and blue lights. His bad leg didn’t help when time was of the essence. They’re getting faster! He knew it was just a matter of time before they caught up to him, and he still didn’t have an explanation for them.

***

“Janet, where’s Ronnie? I haven’t seen him around very much lately.”

“He’s been allowed to work longer hours for the newspaper. Not that it matters. You haven’t been home to notice.”

“Janet, I’m sorry, I’ve told you, we’re getting really close to catching him now. I know it.”

***

No one understood his fascination with photography. They all just thought of him as slow. Well he’d show them. He had an eye for color- something they’d all see in time. He stuck another photo to the corkboard wall.

***

“Scott, Ronnie’s been picked up by one of your patrol officers again. Can you go see what the deal is? I just can’t leave work right now.”

“Scott, can you believe this? I never expected-”

“Janet, Ronnie’s going to have to stay there for now. I’m going to have to call you back.”

“Is everything okay Scott?”

“I really have to go Janet. Brett, I-”

“Scott, if you need some time, I’ll understand.”

“Brett, I, I had no idea- the whole time! All of this in my basement.”

“No parent expects their child to be a serial killer, Scott.”

“He was handicapped, a mental disability. I just don’t see how it could be possible. Oh God, what’s Janet going to say?”

“Well Scott, one thing’s for sure, a room hung with pictures is a room hung with thoughts.”

8 comments:

  1. Damnit Janet (sorry couldn't resist). Good story line. Confused on characters though, too many name references. But then again I'm still asleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, and pigs might fly! Love the way you got so much across in this piece, pulp fiction, don't pulp it!

    Loaded!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. You've certainly given new meaning to the quote. Scary and so very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! I was thinking along the same lines for the prompt - just wasn't what flowed from my fingers for some reason. :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice I loved it and look forward to reading more of your carry on Tuesdays. I just wanted to thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on This Blog Of Mine also I appreciate them.


    Thanks for Visiting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You covered a whole lot of ground in very little space! I'm riveted by the ambiguity of the ending. Not sure if Ronnie's a killer or just likes taking pictures of dead people! I hope you expand on this, and I hope you share if you do. Very creative take on that prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, and the thoughts that pictures can inspire...

    ReplyDelete