Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Apartment 6C

No one had seen or heard from the renter of apartment 6C and he was now two weeks late on his rent. Using the master key I unlocked the door and was immediately overwhelmed by an awful odor.

“Hello?” My stifled voice called into the living room. There was nothing but silence.

Suddenly a crazed dog lurched towards me and ran out the door.

I stepped over the threshold, my shirt covering my nose and mouth. As I searched room by room I noticed the stench getting worse. The third and final bedroom was the last to check. The door was scratched where the dog had apparently tried to get in.

I opened the door and peeked past. The bloated body of apartment 6C renter was lying on the bed. I tripped over my own feet in my frantic rush to get out of the apartment and into fresh air. Waiting for the police to arrive, I joined the dog in sitting under the tree, and enjoyed the fresh air.

9 comments:

  1. You're the second to go in this direction. Loved the ending, which really sums up this tale of woe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, even the dog had the common sense to get the hell out of there!!!
    A nice touch at the end, although I must ask...wouldnt the dog have been barking the whole time?? Wouldn't the landlord have heard it? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who's in the police and he's had a couple of these and the smell is aparently horrendous. You captured it well. Nice writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!

    I've added you to my blog roll and look forward to reading more.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can never go wrong with a tale featuring a rotting corpse.

    Word verification: ritch. Dammit, almost had an apropos retch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can never go wrong when hanging with a dog, especially when there are dead bodies around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wrote about a ghastly event very well...I liked the ending, too. The company of a dog is always comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew, I couldn't do with that smell either!

    ReplyDelete