Saturday, March 6, 2010

FFF #23 My First Night

I had to kick out the back window to escape. I had heard them talking about the funeral being tomorrow. The mortician, my uncle, had locked up for the night, and the only way out of the freezer was through a window in the back. I had helped my uncle enough times to know the morgue like the back of my own hand, which, no longer looked quite the same.

My hand grazed my chest feeling where the stitches were, making it known that an autopsy had already been performed. I bet the new guy did it, he had to of, especially after the looks he used to give me, the sick bastard!

I wandered aimlessly - sticking to the darkest shadows of the night and avoiding all light. I really needed some new clothes. The sheet I had stolen smelled of death and seemed to glow in the night. I felt like it was a neon sign saying: take a look, naked girl in a sheet right here!

A delicious smell stopped me in my tracks, a grilled steak with a hint of garlic. My nose seemed to lead the way without any prompting; I didn’t know how long it had been since I had actually eaten anything. A few days unconscious (not dead because after all I did wake up) without food and my stomach was grumbling in complaint. Well, I guess you could say I was dead… then reborn, but I like to think of it as unconscious until I suffer a true death.

Anyway, the morgue sat on the edge of town as to keep the smell as far away as possible. I knew I had trekked quite a ways when I found where the smell was coming from. Sitting on the corner of Kestersons and 12th, my dinner was waiting. He was dressed in a black trench coat smoking his cigarette, his back facing the building whose shadow I was hiding in. His hair hung in neat sheets down to his shoulders and I might have almost mistaken him for a woman but I just knew based on the smell coming from him that it was a man. I couldn’t explain it, but somehow I knew. I licked my lips savoring the flavor on the air.

I watched as he stubbed out his cigarette.

“May I have one?” I asked my voice barely above a whisper.

“Sure.” He didn’t even turn around to face me, just held his arm above his head a fresh cigarette between his index and middle fingers and a lighter between the thumb and index. I shuffled over to where he was sitting and took them from him. I quickly lit up and took a drag. My mouth watered even more for that delicious meal waiting for me. I handed the lighter back.

“Thanks.”

“Yeah, whatever.”

I took another drag and shuffled back into the shadow of the building. Taking a deep breath then sighing, he stood and turned around to face me. I kept my head down not wanting him to recognize me in case there was a picture of me in the paper. I watched as he carefully looked me up and down. I smiled.

“You need a ride somewhere?”

“No,” I smoothly answered, “I’m really just in the mood for something to eat.”

“Have I seen you before?” He stepped a little closer to me, I shook my head. “Maybe we’ve met?” I shook my head again. “Well then, how about I make you a deal?” He waited in silence for me to answer.

“What’s the deal?” I calmly responded.

“I’ll take you to dinner, if you’ll give me some dessert?” The smile on his face showed his intentions long before the words were out of his mouth.

“Sounds like a deal.” I smiled a tantalizing smile and took one last drag off my smoke. I rubbed the end against the building and threw it in the ditch. He took my outstretched hand and I felt him shiver from my cold touch.

Down a few dark alleys and side streets, we were now completely encompassed in darkness.

“Your eyes, I’ve never seen anything like them.” He whispered in my ear as he pushed me up against a wall. “Are they contacts?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” I allowed him to kiss my bare neck up to my ear before I felt my fangs extending. I gently kissed his neck in return before taking the first bite.

Drinking his blood was like being served a gourmet meal by one of the best chef’s in the world. I just couldn’t get enough! With my nails dug into his back, and my leg wrapped around one of his, I drained him dry. His head drooped onto my chest and moving one of my hands from his back, I placed it just under his head in order to move it and felt my chest, no more stitches! I quickly let go of my victim and pulled the sheet off from around me. There were no marks whatsoever on my body, completely healed.

I quickly pulled the clothes off of his crumpled body and donned them. If each of my meals were going to taste this good and be this easy to come by, then hell, my new life was going to be great.

Walking back to Kestersons street, I thought about what I knew of vampires and the rules. Did they all apply, or only some of them?

Gawking at the moon, it was pure chance that I even noticed him walking towards me – my attacker – the one who tried to kill me. He grabbed me roughly by the shoulders and shook me.

“What the hell are you doing out? You still have another night!”

“What are you talking about?” I demanded taking his arms off of mine. My fangs salivated wanting a taste of him too. How does that saying go? Revenge is a plate best served cold? I had to get retribution for the things he had done to me that night…

“You were supposed to be in the morgue another night!”

“So they could bury me? Ha! Fat chance!” My smart ass comment didn’t seem to impress him. He led me away and to the place that I now call home, and so shall you.

It didn’t take me long to extract my vengeance once he finished explaining the rules to me, and just so you know… if you cross me, I’ll kill you just as easily too.

7 comments:

  1. Not where I was expecting that story to take me...a fine read, indeed.

    “I’ll take you to dinner, if you’ll give me some dessert?”...now, there's one hell of a pick-up line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know vampires could smoke! Because they don't breathe. Or do they? So much I don't know about vampires...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that maybe they breathe out of convenience? Hell I don't know... I've never actually met one, but the day that I do, you better believe I'm going to have lots of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story very descriptive good image of a vampire nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. Now that was classic. Very well done CJT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I want a midnight snack now -- fun read

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's the deal with smokers bumming cigarettes? Buy your own damn smokes, I used to work for a living before I became a bloodsucker.

    ReplyDelete