Friday, October 7, 2011

An Open Request For Guidance

Ok folks, I'm about to get brutally honest, with myself and you.

No many people in this part of my life realize that I work in the fast paced business of Real Estate - and before you run off to read others' blogs let me tell you that no, I'm not a Realtor, I'm a paper pusher, an assistant who tries to put my best face/voice forward daily to keep, #1 myself employed, but #2 to help the 2 most amazing Realtors in business to continue to help people everyday with the most life impacting financial decisions they will ever make.

I'm proud to say that I work for, who in my opinion are, the most genuine, gracious, kind and caring individuals. Their regard for our clientele is above stellar, and their customer care is unmatched and unequaled by any agent(s) I've ever met or come in contact with in this business... and I think that's saying a lot considering I've been doing this now for over 8 years.

I was so inspired to write this tonight after we sat down to have a very goal impacting meeting earlier today.

I'm scared. I'm not used to seeing a "low" that we are now experiencing at the moment with exception to a few years ago when I was with another team. That team fell apart, and sad as it is to say, I'm now the only member left still in this business - although, I'll admit I did take a 3 year sabbatical to work at an animal shelter. There were a few things that made me feel committed to seeing that team make it, one being that I was given the option to become a business partner in the future, and seeing at the time the potential for that business to grow, I was completely on board. That was, until I received a rude awakening a few years later when our real estate market, like so many others in this nation plummeted and my top producing team leader finally had to close up shop and call it quits.

Now, with the aftermath still somewhat fresh in my mind, I'm afraid. I'm afraid to see / experience a similar possibility, although, I know its far from happening. That fear still eats at me, like an ulcer, demanding some if not all of my attention.

I'll be honest and admit that I have not been offered to become a business partner in this newest  venture, but I've come to realize that I'm okay with that. I realize now that I wasn't ready to take that step when it was offered to me at age 21, and now that I'm 26, I'm still not ready to make a commitment of that magnitude. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much committed to seeing this team become even more successful than it ever has been, I'm just not ready to be fully accountable if it doesn't... and yes, I know that was blunt. I still feel that with my previous team, there might have been something more I could have been doing to prevent the fall, and feeling almost helpless again causes me great anxiety.

I'm putting all my efforts and faith into one basket when I'm not home with my kids to do any part I possibly can to keep from experiencing what I thought a few years ago was a career ending disappointment.

So why am I writing this?

I guess to show myself, more than anything, that I'm committed, and to recognize a fear or weakness and to do my best to overcome it. I don't usually quote scripture, but in this case, I feel that its entirely appropriate.

From the words of Ether 12:27 (Book of Mormon):
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble, and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then I will make weak things become strong unto them."
And just as appropriate I think, my favorite words by the esteemed writing colleague, Richard Bach:
"Lean into your fears, dare them to do their worst and cut them down when they try. If you don't, they'll clone themselves, mushroom 'till they surround you, choke the road to the life you want.

Every turn you fear is empty air, dressed to look like jagged hell."
So here I am, writer friends, dedicated readers, family, friends, and anonymous alike, I'm asking you to consider, what fears do you have? Are they justified? And more selfishly, I'm asking, how do I improve and where do I go from here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

If you, or anyone you know, is interested in having the Southern Utah experience, please feel free to click the link below, and take a peek into the amazing world my team and I can offer you.


Best Regards,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. Advice? Seems like your doing, as my life-mentor friend Phil says, "The next right thing." Hard work isn't a guarantee fo success: take the farmer who cant control weather. Or pests. Seems your contributing to success when failures abound. Most are not as fortunate. Fear be damned. Press-on, matey.

    ReplyDelete